Monday, September 30, 2013

How to really love your child - Ross Campbell, M.D.

How to really love your child
Ross Campbell, M.D.
1977, Victor Books



It's a real worth reading this book and its perception on how to discipline your child by giving unconditional love as the foundation. Many gems can be found, but i wi just extract the chapter which is the core:

Chapter 3 The Foundation
Real love is unconditional, and should be evident in all love relationships (see 1 Corinthians 13:4-7)

... I did this by constantly reminding myself of the following:
1. They are children
2. They will tend to act like children
3. Much of childish behavior is unpleasant
4. If I do my part as a parent and love them despite their childish behavior, they will be able to mature and give up childish ways.
5. If I love them only when they please me (conditional love), and convey my love to them only during those times, they will not feel genuinely loved.
6. If I love them unconditionally, they will feel good about themselves and be comfortable with themselves.
7. If I love only when they meet my requirements or expectations, they will feel incompetent.

Almost every study I know indicates that every child wants to know of his parents, "Do you love me?" A child asks this emotional question mostly in his behavior, seldom verbally. The answer to this question is absolutely the most important in any child's life.

Now here is one of the most important statements in this book: Only if the emotional tank is full can a child be expected to be at his best or do his best.

The book then went on to show how we can convey love, namely through eye contact, physical contact, and focused attention. Only then it went on to deal with how to discipline your child. Absolutely worth the read

No comments: