Monday, February 15, 2010

A Balanced Christian Life - Watchman Nee

A Balanced Christian Life
Watchman Nee
1981, Christian Fellowship Publishers, Inc.






Chapter 4: Rest Given and Rest Found
Pride is in the heart as well as in appearance. If I esteem myself better than other people, if I covet that which God has not given me, if I seek something for myself, then I am proud.



When Christians now experience any unfairness they feel angry. They do not know that believers must not only be fair to others, but must also endure any unfairness meted out to them by others. What the Lord received from others was certainly not fairness.

Chapter 6: The Trespass Offering
Eternal life can never be lost, but there is one thing which may be lost – probably many times a day – and that is our communion with God.

Chapter 7: Blessed are the Meek
God must get you to forsake your own wisdom, cleverness and ability before He can use you. What He is looking for today are people who have no confidence in themselves nor are self-reliant and self-willed. If He can find such people, He will use them. He will use them according to their measure of their not trusting in themselves.

Chapter 9: The Significance of Faith

I had a friend who once had spent her last penny. Dring that time she read the Bible and prayed: “O God, give me a word. I do not ask you to place a thousand dollars before me. I only want you to give me a word”. At that moment, she was not only unfilled, but literally empty. Yet she believed God’s word and wrote the following poem:

There is always something over,
When we trust our gracious Lord
Every cup He fills o’erfloweth,
His great rivers all are broad,
Noting narrow, nothing stinted,
Ever issued from His store;
To His own He gives full measure,
Running over, evermore.

There is always something over,
When we, from the Father’s hand,
Take our portion with thanksgiving,
Praising for the path He planned.
Satisfaction, full and deepening,
Fills the soul, and lights the eye,
When the heart has trusted Jesus
All its need to satisfy.

There is always something over,
When we tell of all Hislove;
Unplumbed deaths still lie beneath us
Unscaled heights rise far above.
Human lips can never utter
All His wondrous tenderness.
We can only praise and wonder,
And His name forever bless.

- Margaret E. Barber

No comments: