Friday, March 19, 2010

Hunger for Reality - George Verwer

Hunger for Reality
George Verwer
Authentic Books, 2008




Chapter 1 - We are Revolutionaries!

You, by yourself, can never shine anyone’s shoes without false motives. You will not even distribute tracts without some personal ambition. Paul asked the Galatians: “Having begun in the Spirit, will you now continue in the flesh?” Many Christians are trying to do that. “I am saved by grace,” they might say, “but now I must work my way through the Christian life.”

You are saved by God’s grace, and by His grace you must serve. The Lord is near – not to the successful but to those who are of a broken heart. He saves – not the energetic but those who have a contrite spirit.

This is so clear in John 5:44, when Jesus says to disbelieving Jews: “How can you believe, which receive honor one of another, and seek not the honor that comes from God alone?” How can you believe God for great things – for laborers, for finances, for conversions, for victories in the lives of Christians – when you seek honor from other humans?

As the mark of a true disciple is his hunger for God, his goal is God’s approval. When the work is done, he wants to hear God say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.” Day after day he lives for God and his glory, seeking it as the deer craves the water of the brook.

Chapter 3 – The prayer of Freedom

“O Jesus, meek and humble of heart, hear me, Deliver me Jesus,
from the desire of being loved,
from the desire of being extolled,
from the desire of being honored,
from the desire of being praised,
from the desire of being preferred to others,
from the desire of being consulted,
from the desire of being approved,

from the fear of being humiliated,
from the fear of being despised,
from the fear of being suffering rebuke,
from the fear of being forgotten,
from the fear of being wronged,
from the fear of being suspected.

And Jesus, grant me the grace to desire
that others might be loved more than I,
that others may be esteemed more than I,
that in the opinion of the world others
may increase and I may decrease,
that others may be chose, and I set aside,
that others may be praised and I unnoticed,
that others may be preferred to me in everything,
that others may become holier than I,
provided that I become as holy as I should.”

Can we honestly pray this amazing prayer? I am reminded of some words of A.W. Tozer that I have written in the front of my Bible:

“The Church at this moment needs men who feel themselves expendable in the warfare of the soul. Such men will be free from the compulsions that control weaker men, the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life. They will not be forced to do things by the squeeze of circumstances. Their only compulsion will come from within and from above….They will make no decision out of fear, they will take no course out of a desire to please, accept no service for financial consideration. They will perform no religious act out of mere custom. Nor will they allow themselves to be influenced by the love of publicity, or by the desire for reputation.”

Chapter 4 – The Land of Rest

As Christians, we know that we walk daily in a wilderness world, but the attractions of the wilderness need not walk in us. Whenever they intrude through our eyes or ears or mind, the citizen in the Promised Land must pray: “Lord, I used to enjoy that diversion in slavery, but I have died to that in Christ; hold me in your rest and resurrection life.” It is ours for the asking and the trusting.

The Promised Land of rest on this earth is not for sleeping; it is for fighting – but it is the place where you hear God say: “I shall fight for you.” Opposition, danger, temptations and hardships surround you, but your spirit rests in the fortress of God’s love and power. Will you choose this sanctuary instead of trying to straddle the Jordan and keep one foot in the world?


Chapter 5 – Front Line Perils

Someone has said, “The devil doesn’t waste his fiery darts on nominal Christians.” The history of war confirms that armies make opposing leaders their targets. Satan uses the same tactics. He does not waste time on those who are not counting for God; he aims for the active disciple. When the devil sees someone steadfastly following Christ, he goes into a strategy meeting with the demons of hell and together they plan a full-scale attack. If we understand something of the enemy’s movements and are armed against them, we shall not be caught unawares.

The Word of God tells us to “flee” Satans’ temptations (2 Timothy 2:22). It says to resist him, not in our own power, but in the power of the cross of Christ (James 4:7). The atoning blood of Jesus Christ removes the guilt of our sin, and the cross covers Satan’s control over us. The crucified life of a disciple is maintained only as other camouflaged perils are recognized and avoided.

Chapter 7- When I am weak

You are complete in Christ! Our completeness is not in Christ plus friends, Christ plus service, Christ plus position, Christ plus converts. We are complete only in Jesus! In Him is all the fullness, so Jesus is all that we need. Everything else may fail us; Jesus will never leave nor forsake us.

No comments: